Tuesday 3 January 2017

Volunteer day!

Definitely slept in this morning so I guess today was my rest day! I would have snuck in some gym time after work but today is my volunteer night, something I think everyone should do!

The volunteering I do is with The Alberta Special Olympics- West Central. I began volunteering with them through a friend, who is one of the athletes and he let me know they needed some extra hands with their bowling nights. I really do love working with them, and its safe to say that I learn something new every time that I am there.

Today I had a really good chat with one of the athletes about consistency and focus. His bowling game had slid a little the last time, and his mentality around it was that he needed to refocus, remember what was working and get back to doing that. It clearly worked, as he had 7 strikes, 2 spares and scored 230! He would have beaten my best in his first 6 frames!

His attitude is something I definitely will have on my mind anytime that I'm not getting the results I'm after, and believe everybody could take some notes from him.

It reminded me of one of my favourite quotes from John Maxwell:

"I am never down. I am either up, or I am in the process of getting up."

Thats all for today, but I recommend looking into local volunteer opportunities, giving your time is a great way to give back to your community!

No comments:

Post a Comment